Monday, September 24, 2012

The Holy Grail and Rail

Today we began our lessons on St. Paul.  Our whole week will be centered on Paul, his travels, preaching and letters (epistles).  The Professor reminded us today that Christianity was not brought to Rome by Peter or Paul, when they arrived there was already a thriving Christian Community here.  Yet they are intimately connected with this city, the reason was the witness of their faith to the shedding of their blood.  They were true to what they preached to the end.

Some time ago I wrote about Rome being a romantic city.  You know it is not just young people in the Spring or Summer of life either, there are those who are in their Autumn or Winter of life who also keep the home fires burning.  I had only a few hours of free time today so I did not make my usual march around the city.  I went shopping for Liturgical eye candy, aka Church goods, in the Borgo Pio then strolled "Lungotevere", along the Tiber.  I was heading for the Holy Grail of Gelato places, more on that in a moment but first we make a commercial break to look at lovers in Rome.

A young (spring) couple in love holding hands and strolling on a hot humid day along the Tiber

An couple a little older (summer) arm in arm

A couple in love (winter) strolling the back streets
 In Rome, as in Florence, you find these locks on the bridges or near the river.  Each one represents a couple who became engaged at that very spot.  It is an Italian custom to then "lock" in the love so to speak.  The deal has been done.  The couple often write their initials, date and put a heart on the lock with a sharpie.  Very romantic don't you think?
Engagement locks on Angel Bridge
 Here is mid-bridge and obviously a very popular spot to pop the question.  While I snapped this photo there was a young couple holding hands and lovingly reading the love locks.  I think she was giving him a hint!  Hey, buddy better lock in that deal!
young couple reading the love locks on angel bridge
After this I was on the hunt for the Holy Grail of Gelato.  There is a very famous world renowned Gelato maker here in Rome, his name is Claudio Torce and he has several outlets called simply "IL Gelato".  I have been trying to find one of them near us for a week, today was the day!!  The gelato lives up to the reputation, it was delicious.  The small was 2 Euro and they even gave you fresh whip cream.  Torce is known to be a purist and a fanatic when it comes to using only the finest all natural ingredients, he is old school.  Most of the gelato in the city today is made with a power, emulsions, chemicals and dyes with little if any milk in them.  Only a few places make the real deal.  I was in Ice Cream heaven and those of you who know me, know I am not an Ice Cream guy, but Gelato is a whole  different thing baby!!  It is smooth, creamy, not too sweet, soft and gracefully delicious (the fake stuff is a sin!).  This place has like 8 different chocolates alone and lots of unusual favors they change regularly.  Today I had a scoop of blackberry and a scoop of Cinnamon Chocolate, YUMMY!!

IL Gelato in the Piazza Monte D'Oro (the piazza of the mountain of Gold!!!  Sure was!!)

inerior

The gold of the Grail!!!!!
French Gothic Church on the Trans Tiber from the Lungotevere
After my Gelato I stopped at a lovely French Gothic Church and then had to head back to the hill but before ascending the mountain of the Lord I stopped at the Church of St. John of the Florentines (for the folks from Florence to pray at when in town) to pay my respects to two great architectural genus's; Francesco Borromini and Carlo Maderno, nephew and uncle respectively.  Both worked on St. Peter's and numerous other Churches including S. John of the Florentines where they are buried next to each other.  The same Church, rather macabre, holds the foot of Mary Magdalene where it says, "The first foot to set foot in the tomb after the Resurrection", for her trouble it got cut off and shipped off to Rome...at least it is in a gold shrine encased in gold foot.

Grave of Francesco Borromini (his name is in latin on the inscription)

Grave of Carlo Maderno, Borromini's uncle

Foot of Mary of Magdelene

Then it was time to make the ascent.  I have been having photos of sunrise but here is one of sunset over the Janiculum.  I wish I had my camera at dinner because the sky over St. Peter's was magnificent tonight, all purples, pinks, blues and golds!

2 comments:

  1. I miss it already! Nice though. Keep the good gelato from us...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Living my gelato dreams vicariously, JP! Looking forward to a view of the sunset someday.

    ReplyDelete